We all want our babies to be as healthy as possible. Making your own baby food isn't as hard as it sounds. In fact it's so easy you may never buy a jar again, or have to buy a jar in the first place. And the benefits speak for themselves.
- You know exactly what's going into baby's tummy.Generally because of the packing and cooking methods of jarred baby foods, the vitamins and minerals are all gone, and there are preservatives or additives involved. Buying organic produce is a great way to make sure there are no pesticides or anything else on it.
- Your baby can eat the freshest food possible. Who knows how long those fruits and veggies have been in those jars, or what they use to keep them fresh on the shelves!
- The whole family will be eating the same thing. Whether you're steaming broccoli or pureeing your unseasoned Sheppherd's pie (down the road) your baby will get used to eating the same things as the whole family. Your little one will know that what mommy and daddy are eating is what will be on his or her plate too.
- You can introduce baby to bigger variety of fruits and veggies. Avacados, raspberries, melon - you name it, you can puree it!
- It's ecofriendly! Instead of all of those tiny babyfood jars heading out in the recycle bin (or to the dump), you won't have any waste other that the stems, seeds and peels.
Yes, it can be time consuming, messy and inconvenient but we figure those little kiddies are worth it!
To make your own fruits and veggies just peel, wash, steam/boil and puree! The stick it in the freezer and pop the baby food cubes into freezer bags for freshness. Dethaw for meals.
Interested in making your own baby food? Baby & Beyond has a pethora of products to help make it easy on you. And if you'd like to learn more about this, picky eaters or introducing your baby to solids then you'll love Baby Bites! Hang out with a registered dietician and find out all of the tips and tricks to raising a healthy eater.